Friday, June 4, 2010

Racism & The Holocaust

Hey, reader's. Today's IF (interactive friday) is going to be a serious one. Not that the other two have not been, but this one is going to be more. I would like to talk about racism and the the Jewish Holocaust.


I have heard that there are people that deny the holocaust. They say there is no way it could have happened and over 6 million jews some how died a mysterious death. These people, as blind as they are, have a right to their opinion, but you can't over look the obvious. And that is that it did happen.

But as for me personally, I have been curious of why and how it happened than trying to have a debate on weather it did or didn't happen. And if I may touch on the Holocaust deny thing a little more, the people that do are mostly anti semitic. They would probably say black slavery didn't happened when there is documented proof that it it did

First, I think you have to begin with Adolf Hitler and why he hated Jewish people so much. I must say that in doing research for this, I was a little surprised to find our that he didn't always feel that way.

According to a German publication, "Mien Kempf" Hitler is quoted to have said the following: "for the Jew was still characterized by nothing but his religion , and there fore on grounds of human tolerance, I maintained my rejection of religious attacks in this case and in others."

According to the website, 'Majority Rights.com', Hitler was under the impression that Jewish people were causing divisions for Germans. Although, according to the website, German were not getting along with other Germans. And the Jews were their scapegoat.

What I have found out is that Hitler himself never harmed or killed any of the Jewish people, he had people do it for him which that with in it self is wrong.


But why Jews? It cannot be because of them wanting Jesus dead. In the grand scheme of things, the Jews DID NOT kill Jesus. His death was all ready foretold. "Surely He has borne our grief's and carried our sorrows. Yet, we esteemed Him stricken. Smitten by God and afflicted. But, He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities. The chastisement was upon Him. And by His stripes,we are healed." Isaiah:53:4-6

The question has often been asked by people, "how can a loving and just God have is own flesh and blood killed"? The question is an obvious one: for the sins of the world. Granted a little hard for the unchurched and even some of the Churched to comprehend, but that's what it was. So, if the hypothesis was "lets just blame the Jews cause they killed Christ" is just an excuse, when you consider that these murder's in Nazi Germany were not follower's of Christ. Interesting. The people that want to stand up for Jesus are the same people that don't' follow Him and in some case's even deny His existence. Hmm

And it is going on to this day. It is called racism. It is not just whites against blacks over skin color issues or why African Americans were slaves its an issue of hate which some people can not resolve. Un fortunately racism exist. Its a pimple on America's history. Colonial times where people, mostly in the south had huge amounts of property and didn't want or chose not to pay for hired help so they kidnapped other human beings from other country's and forced then to work. Treating them like garbage in the process.

Yeah, I said it. Kidnapping. And I'm white. In the book 'Roots' by Alex Haley, Kunta Kinte was a mere 15 years of age when he was taken from his homeland of Africa and brought to America. Fifteen. It doesn't matter how you look at it, these people stole someone else's child. There is NO excuse for that.

I have heard both sides of the spectrum. Racism still exist, Racism in America does not exist. I 'll put it to you like this . If the United States of America was a racist nation, we would not have elected an African American for President. Granted, not every American voted for him, even people in his own political party didn't vote for him, but he won by a land slide from what I remember of that election night almost two years ago.

I remember once asking some relatives about the holocaust because at the time they were in their early to late teens. One of them, an uncle of mine said they really didn't hear much, sort of like they were isolated from it. And perhaps so. America of 60 maybe even 70 years ago is not the same America of today. News from around the world gets spread more quickly and very little of it is censored.

In my screenplay I have 2 character's that deal with race issues. One is an African American woman and her adopted Caucasian son. I wrote it that way for 2 reasons: One is because before I started writing the script I was watching a commercial with a highly respected African American actress and I thought I would love to have her in this if it ever goes any where. Only problem at the time was where to put her. So I started thinking about another character in the script, named "JP" a teen ager in high school and it hit me, make both character's mother and son. One, the audience would not expect to see that, second of all it breaks racial stereotypes.

I have met several people in the course 40 years of all races and nationalities and race means nothing to them. One of them even said "race is something you can do on foot or in your car. It doesn't have to be something that makes you frown upon other people."

There are many film references I can give to you that deals with racism and the the holocaust, but I think I will only give two that I have seen that I think would help you. One is Steven Spielberg's Oscar Winning "Schindler's list" About a German, who during world war 2 saved over 2,000 Jewish people from slaughter. Second would be the television movie mini series "Roots. Based on Alex Haley's novel. Tells the story of a young, once again 15 year old boy being kidnapped and forced into slavery and the generations that followed. Both films are highly respected and I think deserve to be viewed not just for its entertainment value, but also for lessons that it teaches.

d....out.