Monday, June 21, 2010

Friendship

Hey, everyone! How are you this Monday afternoon. I pray all is well. Hoe you all had a good weekend. Mine was OK.

Early this morning I was watching a little bit of a film I have seen countless of times called 'Stand By Me' (Columbia Pictures,1986) Based upon a Novelia by Stephen King. The film center's on four adolescent boys who in the summer of 1959 set out to find a missing kid's body. What they end up discovering is more about themselves. The thing that gets me about this film is the camaraderie of the boys. One,a young writer who doesn't quite know what he wants out of life and the other 3 are just pushed in to a social situation there is no way out of. Unbeknown to them that that summer would be the last one the 4 of them share together.

The moral of the story is I think 2 things. One is learning about your selfs and your friends and the bonds of friendships which in later life helps one of the central Character's to write about the experience. (older "Gordie"played by Richard Dreyfuss)

Its friendship. A very important ingredient I think to human life. Maybe even all creatures of this planet,cause even animals have friends.

I can recall a couple of of times where friends of mine were there for when I needed them and vice versa. A couple of those times are scenes in my screenplay, 'Bring On The Dancing Horses' I'll give you a small example.

As a freshman in high school in 1984, I was bully ed by this kid named Scott. He just wouldn't give me an even break. I had just joined my schools cross country team (running) and I had made friends with some of them alot sooner than I thought I would have. I had told some the teams varsity about my problem with Scott and they told me they would take care of it. I will never forget the day they did. They found him at lunch one day and cornered him. To this day I have no idea what was said but I was never bullied by him again.

What about you? It doesn't have to be getting saved by a bully, although that does help, what is it too you that makes a friend?

I don't know if is possible for parents to be 'friends' with their children. I am not saying its a bad thing if they are, I think what I am trying to say is everyone regardless of age needs their parent's, doesn't matter if its father's with their son's or mother's with their daughter's. Or even father's with their daughter's. In life, we all need some one to talk to. I have said this before, I am not a parent, but at the age of 40 I still look forward to asking my mother for advice on things that I need to do or just her take things she thinks I should do. She does that with all my siblings and while I don't know how they feel about, I know I feel a little better because it helps me with decision making. Which is something everyone needs from time to time.

I had the opportunity a few months back to meet a father and his family, his wife and two children. All four of them have become friends of mine and I enjoy their company and talking with them when I get the chance. I can't say weather he feels he is his kid's friend or if he feels he is his kids father. Perhaps it's a little bit of both. I wouldn't doubt for a second that both his son and daughter like the fact that he is around and all that he does for them, while at the same time needing their quote un quote 'space' which I am sure he gives them.


I strongly recommend either renting or buying the DVD of the movie' Stand By Me' Its a great film that talks about the importance of friendship. It is directed by Rob Riener, son of comic Carl Riener (Meat head in the classic television show, 'All In The Family')

Until next time, the balcony is closed. People are still falling out of it. Maybe it's best to put up a railing.

Drmeier