Friday, June 18, 2010

Drugs

Hi,everyone, sorry for the delayed blog. I am going to try not to let it happen too much. I am going to skip interactive Friday this week, but it will be back next week. I think I have a very interesting blog topic today.

Here goes.

Earlier this week, I was having some dinner and watching a little bit of television and came across comic who was talking, well singing actually about medical marijuana and the benefits of it. I have a little bit of an issue with that. Why after so many decades of marijuana being illegal and people telling everyone it's bad for them, why with in the last 12 or 13 years have they been saying, that there are benefits to it and it can help some people.

I don't get it.

here are some of the quote un quote 'benefits':the amelioration of nausea and vomiting, stimulation of hunger in Chemotherapy patients and even treating Glaucoma. I am not a doctor and I personally have not tried marijuana nor do I ever plan to. It has been offered to me by many people, but I turned them down each time they offered.

But, I'll say it again, I don't understand why after so many years of people saying this stuff is bad for you when you get that "high" once again, I have never used it so I don't what it feels like.

A pastor that I once knew of made this hypothesis when the state of California passed the usage of cannabis in the late 1990's. He said the only reason why the law passed is so people can find a excuse to get high. That might be a correct hypothesis when it is illegal to use or carry marijuana on your person. It is still illegal and if you don't have a prescription for it, the police can and will apprehend you for it.

Motion pictures have depicted the use of drugs in many ways. Very few of them have ever discussed the issues of the so called 'benefits'.

Mostly when it is discussed it is for recreational purposes and even making a joke out of it.

A few months ago, I was having a conversation with a woman who was trying to tell me the definition of the medical use for it.

I think the bottom line is this: Its an excuse for wanting to use an illegal drug. People want the proverbial 'high'. If the get in trouble, thats their fault, no one else's. Am I being a little biased? Perhaps.

I just never understood why people would want to numb themselves with stuff like that.

Two films I would recommend for you that handle drug issues is one from the 1930's called 'Reefer Madness' and a film released in 1993 called 'Dazed and Confused' Both movies are considered to be cult classics.

Speaking of films, the remake of the karate kid, I told you all I was going to see. Don't waste your time and money on it. Rent or buy the 1984 original with Pat Morita and Ralph Macchio. The Karate Kid is one of those films that doesn't need a remake. Shame on the people that thought it did.

D....out