Saturday, January 29, 2011

Construction Time Again

Ok, ok, I didn't get any feed back on weather or not I should bring back the "If's" (interactive Fridays), but I think I am going to anyway. Think I might even start off with something that I promised doing over the summer but never got around to it. Interactive Saturday. Are you ready? No, I said, ARE YOU READY!!!!!!!!(quote from a pro wrestler)

Over the years I have found I have gained respect for construction workers. I don't think I have ever put the line of work down, I just never considered or thought that I would be able to do it. I remember being in high school, just about to graduate and a gaudiness counselor gave me a test to see what jobs I would be good at. I think I did the best I could on it so when the counselor told me the results were, I went with them. It wasn't the construction field.

In the fall of 2004, I had moved to Arizona and found myself in desperate need of a job, after looking, I took the advice of a younger sibling who at the time was framing houses, ie the wood part of a house. I called this guy who owned this framing company and he hired me on. Didn't last long, because one, I was slow at it and two he didn't like my work. Can't say I blame him

Shortly after that I started installing carpet. It was hard work, but I learned alot and to this day when I see a floor, I happen to look down to see how it was done. I will never say I have the experience to see if it was done right or wrong, but I can look and have respect for the people that did it. Yes, it is possible to look at a floor that has either been tiled or carpeted, the flooring guy (or girl) has the eye for.

I think this is what gave me my respect for construction worker's. Alot of work and alot of hours, but the finished product makes you take a step back and go 'yeah, I like this. Nice job'.

I think anybody in any field, not just construction, but even an office job or as it is called 'white collar' can have an eye for their work because they have been doing it for quite some time.

Need an example? Too bad, my blog, I am going to give you one or two of them anyway.

One of my brother's is an electrician. He has been in the field for close to 12 years I would say, and from what I have heard comes quite recommended when there is a job. I wouldn't doubt for a second that if he was in any building, residential or office, he could take one look at the wiring and tell you if it was done right or not.

Same thing with a friend of mine from Canada, who before he got injured and went to pursue other options did dry wall. I am sorry, my friend if you are reading this, I don't remember if you said residential or office buildings, but my point is that, just like my brother in his trade, my friend the dry waller could take a look at any built wall and tell weather or not it was done right.

Once again, having an eye or more to the point, the experience to know how the job is done.

In closing, I will leave you with these two things, there is a popular television show called 'Extreme Home Makeover', sort of a reality show. Now, I am not going to critiize this show in anyway, I think from what I have seen of it, they really try and help people that need a better home get one and I commend them for that. I saw one recent episode where they built a house for this family who's child was handicapped and didn't have a big enough house to help with everything he needed.

Now, I said I wasn't going to criticize and I am not, but they say they can build the house from the ground up in one week. They have two sets of crews working 24 hours a day to get it done on time. Question I have, does everything work the way it is supposed to because to some degree these construction workers were rushed to meet their seven day deadline. Here is where the interactive part of the blog comes in. For those reading this blog that ever done or do construction work of any kind, if a house was built in seven days would the finished product be in a complete working order.

And lastly, I'll leave you with this: My brother and I both respectively have an eye for what we do and like. I just wish the thing I have an eye for was as important as his is.

David.

No comments:

Post a Comment