Saturday, January 15, 2011

Professional Wrestling

Ok, my reader's I am going to tell you a little more about my self, than what you probably did not know. Some people do, other's, well you do now.

I have a guilty pleasure. I freely admit to it, because there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I, David Meier am a fan of pro wrestling.

I have been for over twenty years.

I remember to this day how I found the sport and how I got hooked on it. It was a Saturday morning in about 1982, I was about 13 years old and I was watching television and happen to stumble across this sports program.At first I didn't know what it was, all I saw were athletes in a ring fighting. It wasn't boxing 'cause they didn't have gloves and they were not taking that mandatory break that all boxing matches have. The first match that I saw was this wrestler, who has since past away named 'Big John Studd' a guy close to 7 feet tall beat up a another guy who quite frankly didn't stand a chance.

Pro wrestling today isn't the pro wrestling it once was. On reason is because most of the secrets of the sport have come out. Every match is predetermined, the wrestler's before the match begins, know who is going to win and who is going to lose.

Another secret that has come out is that the wrestler's you thought couldn't stand the sight of one another and all they wanted to do is beat each other up, are actually good friends. In the 1980's and maybe even before that, those secrets were not known. I remember once reading the cover of a wrestling magazine (yes, they do have those for publication), the wrestler, who's name was Tully Blanchard,made reference to his opponent, by saying how much he hated the guy. They were actually close friends and remain it to this day.

Question I have is how can you beat up a friend of yours and still call him a good friend. If you lose, you still want to go after the person if anything to find out for your self if you have what it takes to beat him.

But, than I started to think. It is all planned. Once again, both wrestler's know who is going to win their match.

Another thing that has changed to a degree is the number of wrestling company's there once were. When I first started watching there were at least five major wrestling company's, or Territory's, as they would call them. They are: The American Wresting Alliance (AWA) World Class Championship Wresting (WCCW) National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) World Championship Wrestling (WCW, formerly known has NWA) and World Wrestling Federation, or what is now called World Wrestling Entertainment (WWF/WWE)

Out of the five I just mentioned, only one is still around: The WWF/WWE.
The WWE is considered to be the best pro wrestling company.

I can only give you my hypothesis (Thanks Buddy) of why the other four company's are no longer around. It is either bad management or they just could not keep it going financially. Each one of these company's had television exposure, but for two if them, the AWA and WCCW their markets or where their respective shows would be seen was not as big as NWA/WCW or the WWE.

About a year ago I was watching an ESPN channel and they had an old episode of one of the AWA's shows. They couldn't even sell out the place. There were more empty seats than there were full ones.

When a wrestling company does a show, doesn't matter where it is at the thing that matters the most for these shows are how many tickets are going to be sold, or if you will, the box office. Box Office scores are not just for movies.

If you don't have that score, you're not going to generate money. Just like a film would do. And eventually, you will go under.

The WWE has never had that problem. Like I said (wrote) The WWE is the gold standard in pro wrestling. All pro wrestler's at some point want to go there and once they have, they realize they have made the big time.

There is another wrestling company that started about 9 years ago and to it's credit, it's a good wrestling outfit. It's called Total Non Stop Action (TNA) Like I just wrote, good company, there making strides in the sport, but it is nowhere near the caliber of World Wrestling Enterainment (WWE)

D...out!!

P.S:If you didn't like todays blog, you're going to love tomorrow's (hopefully)

Going to be talking (writing)about a friend of mine. Stay Tuned.

Suggestion, if you want to see a film about pro wrestling, check out 'The Wrestler' with Mickey Rourke. Great film.

No comments:

Post a Comment