Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What Are You So Afraid Of?

This, my reader's is not the topic I have been doing research on, but rather something I have been contemplating writing about for a while.

Every one, regardless of what they may say has a phobia of some kind. They don't want to admit it, maybe because they feel its going to make them less of a person, but they have it. We don't have to admit our fears to other people, I think we have to admit our fears to ourselves.

When I was in 7th grade I was taking wood shop and one day was working on a project that I had to use an electric saw. My left thumb got too close to the blade and I got cut. Ever since than I have been afraid to use a saw, even though I had to for various jobs I have had.

When I write this, I am in no way criticizing. I am not here to poke fun at people for the various things they are afraid. I just stated that I think we need to be honest when admitting our fears and there is not a single thing wrong with that. Parents don't tell their children who are afraid of something to 'man up' and face it when they generally see the fear in their eyes.

Another thing this blog topic isn't is going to ask what you are afraid of.

Fears can be a number of things: Heights, going to the doctor and getting a shot etc. Fear can also be attempting something but backing out at the last moment, because there is simply no way you would do it. Fun to talk about and try to convince your self that you could do it, say like Bungee jumping or even sky diving, but getting there and watching other people do it and you think to your self, 'this is crazy. there is no way in hell I am going to do this'. Thats ok. Once again, you're being honest with admitting you're afraid of it.

Years ago I went over to one of my younger siblings house where he had rented a film or documentary called 'Face's Of Death'. I couldn't watch it. I don't like grisly horror movies. I remember watching one when I was young and I couldn't sleep for days.

I know of a person that about 20 years ago give or take was in a bad motorcycle accident. You might think that he would be afraid to get back on one. Nope. He has two of them.

So, as I stated, I am not asking "What Are You So Afraid Of?" I really don't want to know. Just admit it to yourself.

David.