Thursday, January 6, 2011

Directv vs. Dish Network

Hello, my good reader's. How the hell are ya? As a good friend of mine once said.(and continues to) Doing' good, I hope. OK, today is a whole new topic that hopefully you will like. It's not really about film, well I guess it can be because you can watch them on either satellite, but today I want to discuss satellite television.

Now, I am not going to sit here and write which one I think is better than the other, nor would I critize either satellite. What I will tell you is that in the house I reside in we have Dish Network and it is safe to say that everyone in the house likes it. It would be the same if we had Directv. We wouldn't care, they both work the same. Both Companys, Dish & Direct have been around for over twenty years, however for me personally, I think I remember seeing both and watching a demo of each in a Circuit City about 17 or 18 years ago. I remember they had them both side by side with the same movie playing ('Dazed & Confused' Directed by Richard Link latter, 1993)

We (my house) had dish network installed sometime around April or May of 2010 and just recently we added high definition to it making the experience even more enjoyable.

The object to a satellite is to have way more channels than what you can find on your town's cable company. With Dish, they have over 9,000 channels as to your towns cable company, a bit less. Week before Christmas I was in California visiting a relative and he had Directv in his house. For me personally, it was the first time in a long time I had the chance to compare both. Like I just wrote a paragraph or two ago, they both work the same with just about the same amount of channels. Like I also wrote, maybe a slight difference or two if you look closely.

But not a bad system to have. Both work a lot better than cable TV, one of the reasons we got it in our house was because if we would watch something with cable, the station more often than not would freeze up and stay there for some times hours. I recall once and this is true, there was one station that stayed frozed for 3 days, until some one fixed it, on the corporate level. No lie.

Here is a brief example of what you can get: all your local television stations (ABC, CBS,etc) Cable channels such as HBO (movie channel) and one thing that I especially like, close to 10 Christian based stations.

Not bad.

When I was a teen, I would go over to some friends house and some of them would have a satellite in their homes. How ever, from what I recall the dish it self was huge, could not fit it on your roof like it would today. I do not recall all of the stations you could have gotten, but I do remember one friend telling me it was possible to get television from all around the world.

I think the reason for the change from a big dish to a smaller sized dish system is an obvious one: much smaller in size, the price is less and it works just about the same, give or take some things.

So, if you have either Directv or Dish Network, how do you like it? In many ways, it's a cool thing to have.


D...out

Tomorrow, just so you know ahead of time, I am going to get a little controversial and discuss something that may not be suitable for everyone who reads this.

No comments:

Post a Comment