Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Social Network(s)

How ya doing, my readers? Today's blog is going to be about the social network sites of both Face book & Twitter. I have not got around to seeing the movie about the formation of Face book called 'The Social Network' (Oscar nominee for best picture- 2010) so I can not and will not discuss it for I do not like critiquing films I have not seen. What this blog is about today is the networks of both Twitter and Face book respectively and how I find them both quite fascinating.

What I think I find fascinating about them is how they work. Now, I am not a computer science major and I have no idea of how to make programs such as twitter or face book, but I think its amazing how it all works. Lets say for instance and in this case I am referring to myself and my face book account, I have Friends who I have not seen since I would say either the early part of the 2000's or even as far back as the mid 1990's. With face book, I not only have a chance to reconnect with them and find out how their doing but in two case's in particular have the opportunity of seeing them again. Kinda beats just showing up and surprising them, although, I have to admit, thats fun as well.

Two other things I like about them is that you can chat with people. I think the chatting is what I find to be the most interesting. If you have a face book account for instance, doesn't matter where you live or what country you might happen to live in, you have the opportunity of chatting with your face book friends from where they are. And that could be anywhere on the planet.

Over the summer I was in California and I remember talking, chatting really with a friend on face book. At the time he was in California, but he resides in Dallas Texas. My friend, who I consider to be one of the smartest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting, is quite knowledgeable when it comes to computers. It just floors me, really, but, I digress. Anyway, I asked him how a 'chat' works and he was going to tell me, but we were both pressed for time so we didn't get around to it.

But, if you think about it, it's quite interesting.

Just like face book, though a little different, well ok, completely different, Twitter is also an unique thing. You can chat or send messages to just about anyone in the world that has an account. Doesn't matter, you can do it. Even known celebrities. Only draw back to the celebrities thing is that they just might, depending on the person have alot of people following them. I counted for one particular person I follow on twitter that it was over a million. With over a million people 'tweeting' as they call it, if I was to send a 'tweet' to this person, they probably wouldn't get it. And thats fine. I have better things and more important thing to do with my time than to wait on a twitter message from some celebrity. The point is you can do it.

With both my face book and twitter accounts I have many friends I follow and chat with. Not that I am keeping track, but I think for the most part I have chatted with people from America, Canada, England, Africa & Australia. And I am currently residing in Arizona. I don't know about you, but I think its a pretty interesting device.

David.

No comments:

Post a Comment