Thursday, February 10, 2011

A IF (Interactive Friday)

Alright my readers, I am just going to get right to it. Save the chit-chat for another blog. Recently I was asked by a friend of mine what was my favorite album of all time. It was a no -brainer, I knew the answer and I will tell you all later in this blog. I guess my question is if you were asked (and you are) what is your favorite album of all time. It doesn't matter if it's Christian or secular, if you feel like telling, I would like to know.

I personally have alot of musical interest for various genre's of music, some which may surprise people.

Growing up, my mother used to and still does listen to alot of country music. I like it a little of it as well, although that has not always been the case. You might say there is a little bit of an invisible line when it comes to liking the music your parents like, some children (adult children of parents & preteens & teens combined) do. But as for me, when I was growing up, I never cared for it.

Now, I do, and I think I owe that to my mother. Country music has changed alot over the decades and, well when I was a kid, people who are now considered legends in the country genre were just starting their respective career's and some like the late Johnny Cash were getting their third wind.

Waylon Jennings, George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Merle Haggard etc, the list goes on. Thats the country music I grew up listening to wheather I cared for it or not. I can still remember where I was and to a degree what I was doing, when I heard those now classic song's from the afore mentioned artist.

Thanks, Mom!

When I was growing up, I liked a lot of rock and roll, in fact when I was in my preteens and early teens my favorite band was called KISS. Funny story (ok, maybe not) of how I actually became a fan. Picture it Mid 1970's ( Thanks 'Golden Girl' Estelle Getty) I am a young child of maybe 6 or seven years old, and up to that point, I had never seen or heard of Kiss.
I am visiting a relative with my mom and younger siblings and I am looking at the walls of the relatives house. Every wall, including the bathroom was full picture and poster's of this band. Now for those of you who might be reading this who have no clue who Kiss was or is, briefly their a rock band that wore make- up on and off stage and can be credited in why alot of music performers today have big concert stages and pyrotechnics.

So, like I said, I had never heard of this band and I am looking at pictures of a cat, a guy with a star on his eye, some guy dressed up like he is from outer space and the most scariest, a guy with white face paint and bats on his eyes spitting fire and drooling blood. WTF, you know?, I remember I couldn't sleep at night because I would remember those photos. My mom would tell me over and over again they were just a band.

About a year or two later I am watching an awards show on television and I see them again. I was hooked.

Later in my teens, my preference for music got more darker and I started listening to alot of '80's new wave and alternative bands. If I am in the mood, I still listen to them.

But, over the past 17 going on 18 years since I have been a Christian, I have been listening to alot more Christian oriented music.

I can't listen to "pop" music. You can name anyone popular in music today and I am going to be honest and say I have not heard their music. I am not going to down grade them or their singing ability, I really have not been a big fan of "pop".

When I do listen to music, it has to have an edge to it. A little or alot of distorted guitar, if it synthesized, it has to have a good beat to it. A little depressing isn't half bad either.

I do not, and can not listen to rap. Far to vulgar. Celine Dion's "my Heart will go on" from Titanic, I cannot stand. Thats not to say she isn't a good singer, she is, but, try working in a movie theather in 1997/1998 when Titanic was in theaters and having to supervise the cleaning of a theather with that song playing in Dolby stereo. It got old real quick. No joke,even to this day If I am in a grocery store and its playing, I walk out. I am not kidding.

So, when you read my choice for all time favorite album, you might be surprised. I pick them (it's a tie, can't seem to choose which one I like the most) for their music, production values and song writing.

Here is my top four:
4: Depeche Mode- Music For The Masses
3: U2- Joshua Tree
2: Bruce Springsteen- Born In The U.S.A.
1: Paul Simon Graceland & The Beatles Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (tie)

Now, it's Interactive Friday time, if you have an all time favorite album, Christian or secular, what it is it?

d...out!