Monday, February 14, 2011

Guns

Hello, my reader's. Glad you all could be here reading this morning.

My topic today is guns. I am not going to make this a diatribe about guns being wrong. I think there is a valid reason for having them and I feel there is a reason for not owning one if that is what you choose. I personally do not own one. For me personally, I don't hunt, I am not in law enforcement and I don't condone violence as it can be depicted in either movies or music.

Another reason, and I think this is the most important part is I am not some nut- job with a beef against the government that I am going to shoot elected officials.

Guns do serve a purpose, if you are a hunter and like to bring back your trophy's and sell them to markets for food, than there is your reason for having one or more. If you are a police officer, nine times out of ten, depending on the situation you're going to need a gun. The police officer knows that the person he pursuing might have one and if he needs, he can use it to bring the situation to an end.

I know of a few people that like to hunt. I don't feel there is any thing wrong with that. If you are reading this and you are a vegetarian who thinks meat is bad and so is the slaughter of innocent animals, this may sound a bit two faced of me, but I think I get your point, but at the same time, once again, I feel hunting for food etc does have its purpose.

It is a given fact that some animals are basically bred for slaughter. Grocery store cooperations pay top dollar to farms that slaughter beef. Once again, I agree with that. I don't think I would ever work in that Field because I don't have the stomach for it, but, I agree with it.

My friends have yet to ask me to hunt, but if they ever did I just might go along, if anything than to say I have done it.

Guns have been around for a long time and we as a culture are fascinated with them. We see it depicted in movies, we hear about it on the news, and if you go for rap/ hip hop music, it tends to get violent in its lyrics and glorifies the use.

Guns can also as everybody knows do bodily harm. Severe harm. Like I wrote a few paragraphs ago, if you are in law enforcement and don't have a gun, you could get seriously hurt, even if you did have you could get seriously hurt, even killed. I have lost count (not that I have been counting) of the story's of police officers who have been killed in the line of duty.

Question is, how can these people live with them selves after ward. Cop or not, if you kill some one, how can you have the theory that life goes on and think nothing of it. I have heard story's about war veterans and police officers alike and even some criminals who have said they regretted taking a life.

I could never do that. I value human life too much. I may sound like a hypocrite but I don't know how I feel about the death penalty. I some times feel ok, this person did a despicable act, he/she should die for it than theres the part of me that values human life. If there is a difference and you can balance both hypothesis's I would like to know how.

In the early 1990's I was training to be a security guard, where I remember I was asked weather I wanted to be armed or unarmed. I chose unarmed. Like I just wrote, I value human life and I don't know if I would have been able to live with myself had I ever shot someone. It's easy to say, more difficult to do. If it is your life or the persons life, which one do you find more important? I praise God that I never had to make that decision.

Every one has their own way of looking at it. And every country has their own laws of who can and cannot own a gun. Guess it's all in how you look at it.

David

No comments:

Post a Comment