Thursday, July 29, 2010

What Have We Done With Movies?!

Greetings and salutations, my reader's! Hope you are enjoying your thursday. Mine is just getting started. I have a feeling it is going to be a great one.

Before I go any further with my blog topic for today, I have a disclaimer, my language is going to be little harsh. If you choose to turn away, now would be the time to do it. Consider your self warned.

Yesterday afternoon I took a drive to my sister's house and her and husband had invited me to stay for dinner and to watch a movie they had rented, so I did. My sister and I, un fortunetly do not share the same taste in films. To some degree I respect that, to another, I question it.

One movie she had rented was recently in theather's called "Kickass". Supposedly based upon a comic book. The film is basically about a teenaged boy who likes to read comic books and at the same time wants to become a super hero in the process. Lot's of F bombs being dropped, a little bit of sexual situations. It is'nt what I would call a good movie.

Over the past couple of years there have seem to have been a lot of teen oriented comedies that deal with gross out behavior. Let me rephrase that. It is'nt just teen comedies, I think its movies of all genres.

For instance, a person gets into a fight, he or she is losing it and its getting brutal to put it mildly. Instead of calling the police to have the altercation stopped, they let it continue, some times, if they have a cell phone with video capabillites, filming it and sending it to the web.

This is not good for movies and it certainetly not good for real life.

Where have the values system gone for motion pictures with in the last 20 t0 30 years?

I am not saying these films should not be made, but I think what I am saying is these films dont really need to push the envelope as far as having to check your own belief system as you walk out of the theather.

One of my all time favorite film directors, Woody Allen in one of his recent year films was about a guy who lives in England that is married and is having an affair with another woman. One he wants to end the affair, he kills the woman and covers up his tracks. Basically getting away with it.

The film which is called 'Match Point' is the only film by Allen that I would have to say isn't one of his best, all though, the guy is so brillant when it comes to film making, one film out countless more isn't all bad.

Even though, I don't particully like it, i would still recommend it. Make up your own mind.
Which I think with motion pictures, you have to do.

d....out.