Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Acting Techniques

Happy Wednesday to you all. I count everyday a Blessing. One is because It Is The Day The Lord Has Made and second, its great to see all the comments to this blog and references to them. Thanks to those that have told other people about FPTF. It's an honor. Let's this people know this wasn't a stupid idea after all!

Gotcha, HDM!!

Today, I would like to talk about skills of acting or skills of actors. Now, before I go any further I need to say that I am not an actor. I did take a Drama class in High School, but I wasn't any good. Some of you might be thinking, "OK, not an actor, but he is talking (writing) about it."

I think if a person like my self or any one else for that matter who has an interest in film, they can also spot an actor or an actress's talent. That is, obviously one of the reasons you get into the film and why people talk about such gifted actors and actress's. And also why they hand awards every year to them.

There are alot of actors and actress's I can name that knew their craft as an actor. One, in particular, Marlon Brando, who even to this day years after his death people still look at him as being the ultimate actor.

This past Monday evening I was chatting with an actor friend of mine and even though I was sort of kidding around, the conversation got a little serious when the young actor started talking about why he does what I made reference to. In most of the work he has done he gives his fellow actor's a stare that I think grabs the audience attention. This stare, or look was most effective in one of his earlier films called 'Black Christmas" a low budget horror movie, well that if you watch it, you have to have the stomach for it.

I think if you are an actor you have to take your roles seriously. You can't just say "this is only movie, who cares how my acting is" If you say or think that, than you are probably in the wrong career.

Now, I grant you not everyone that goes to a movie cares about the craft of the player's in it. They are just there for a good time and perhaps have even heard about the movie thats why they are in the theather.

But ask them about the performance of the actors, or even the technical aspects of the movie, they might just laugh at you and ask you to stop being a film critic. Kinda hard to stop when you have a passion for it.

I'll give you two brief explanations that I personally have encountered.

First film was called "City Slicker's(1991), a comedy starring Billy Chrystal and the late Jack Pa lance. Classic movie. But any way, the actor in question was a little bit of a supporting part played by a great actor named David Paymer. The scene calls for him to have a little bit of a weird facial expression when his brother, played hilariously by Josh Mostel (King Herod in Jesus Christ Superstar,1973) was asked to taste a flavor of ice cream. The expression of Paymer left me with the impression that this guy takes his role seriously

And quite so. My reader's if you get the chance google or Wikipedia "David Paymer" and find some of his films and you might realize what I just explained to you.

Second, was film that was 3rd in a trilogy called 'Sandlot:heading home.
My actor friend is in this one. He doesn't speak until close to the end of the picture, but his mannerisms and yes, even his "stare" makes his performance. I hope, my friend, where ever you are, you get the chance to read this today.

I would like to recommend 5 films to you. One, since if you recall, I made reference to the late Marlon Brando, are 2 of his films: Street Car Named Desire & The Godfather. 2 outstanding motion pictures.

City Slicker's with Billy Crystal and David Paymer (watch for it)

and lastly 2 films from my actor friend:Black Christmas & Sandlot:Heading Home. I am not going to give you is name in this blog, if he reads this, he knows who he is and so do people that know him better than I do, but if you watch thes 2 films you will notice what I and alot of other people noticed and that is, my friend has the talent to make it in show business

David.