Saturday, May 1, 2010

Parent's And How To Live With Them

Hello readers and welcome to another From Paper to film blog. Sorry about yesterday, but I was busy and dealing with alot of stressfull issues.To recap for you, this is a blog about films but at the same time it is also a blog about what ever I think I feel like writing about. I will tie in a movie or two with each topic if I feel that the movie I am thinking goes along with it.

I will also add a film suggestion that hopefully would tie in as well

I started this blog on tuesday and gave an introduction. Wednesday's topic was Politics. Thursday's was Christianity.

Today, Its Parents. Moms,Dads, Yep, those two people (or sometimes one person) that have raised you. But, I am not going to talk too much about living with parents when you were a child, or if you are a child now I am going to talk about how to live with your parent's in your adult years.


I have been living with my grandmother for a little over six years. She got sick and my mother thought some one should be with her. Things were not really going to well with me with I was doing at the time (2003) so, I said ok. I have been here ever since. Its been ok, we get along, I help her, we laugh over jokes etc. Around Christmas time (2009) my mom informs my grandma and I that she is moving in. Now, mind you , I love my mother, I care for her and about her as I am sure every son and daughter does with their respective mother. The thing that concerns me about mine is that we dont get along. Seems we can argue over anything and quite frankly, it's point less.


I n a 1980's black comedy called "Parent's" starring Randy Quaid a young boy thinks that his parents are cannibals. and, through most of the movie trys to confirm his suspisions.

I am sure, your parents were not like that niether is mine, but I think that every kid at some point likes to think "yeah, these are my parents, and this is what they do."

To her credit, my mother is a smart woman. When I do talk to her and we are getting along and having a decent conversation, some of the things she talks about I must say I find interesting because I realise that she has a head on her shoulder's and a brain to go with it. and come tax season of next year, I can recommend her to do your tax's for you, because has a mind for business and in that regard one of the best tax agaents I can think of


But, with all that said, there still is how we feel about one another. It is not easy living with her. And I wouldnt doubt for a moment that any of you reader's if you are living with your parent's as an adult, it probably isnt easy for you. There all ways going to be disagreements. Doesnt matter, what it is about. A disagreement is a dissagreement.

If you are a child living with your parents and you ask them "mom, dad, can I....?" and they tell you no you can't, thats a dissagreement. Most of the time their right and they are only looking out for you. If you are an adult living with you parent (or parents) and you say " hey mom, hey dad this is what I am going to do..." your parents may tell you they dont think its a good idea, but they cant prevent you from doing it because you are an adult. You can handle it. Now, in no way am I suggesting go out and find trouble, because that is not what I meant, but as one son of a mother to countless others they know what they are talking about and that motherly instinct does not go away just because you grew up and moved out of the house

Almost a month ago I was in Los Angeles,California and I met a brother and sister. And their parents. The brother, a boy of about 14 I think was standing next to his mother asking her a couple of questions and I just watched for an instant how the two communicated . The sister, who was maybe 16 was doing the same thing and both siblings were getting along rather well with both of their parents. It's good to see stuff like that. I got the feeling there was respect amongst the four of them.



That "Parents" movie is a dark comedy and some of you may not like the subject matter. I have not seen the film in quite some time, But I remember the ending slightly and, well it was one of heart pounding moments where you wonder what whats going to happen next. I recommend it if you can find it in your local video store.

Another film I would recommend as well that deals with adult children living with their parents is "Ordinary People" with a great cast of Donald Sutherland, Mary Tyler Moore and Timothy Hutton in his Oscar winning role. Excellent film.


I can recall Hutton's oscar speech when he won in '81 or '82. I remember seeing it.


drm

1 comment:

  1. I know it must be hard for you to live with a parent as an adult. I moved back in with my parents as an adult for a year at 22. It was not too bad because my parents didn't speak to each other and my Dad barely spoke to me. That was nothing new. He was a hard working man but never had any time for his kids. I had an uncle that filled in the "Dad" role so I turned out OK. My Dad is now dead and my Mom lives 500 miles away. Email communications is all we have and frankly... it's all we need. I make sure my relationship with my kids is quite different than what I had growing up. We are involved in their lives (maybe too much) and while it is a struggle being a parent, we have their best interest at heart and we are lead by love.

    ReplyDelete