Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Parenthood

Hey, y'all. I have never used that phrase in a sentence till now. Wow. Guess Foxworthy was half right. Happy third week to you all who are reading this morning or afternoon.

I thought I had a personal rule for my self and that was to stay out of the way of parents while they do their job of parenting their children. I think I have done a decent job of it. But with the topic of todays blog, I sort of get the feeling I am about to break that. I will let you, the reader be the judge of that.

I am the oldest of six children. My five other siblings are parents respectfully. I have three other brothers and two sister's. all five of them are mothers and fathers. And thay are raising bright intelligent kids.(sounds like I'm a bit biased.)

I have seen them raise up their own kids. They do a great job when it isnt the most easyest job in the world. I heard a comic on television say that its easy for a woman to become a mother. It's just difficult being one.

In 1989 Ron Howard directed a film called "Parenthood" with a great ensamble cast of Steve Martin. The film deals with the average things parents go through. And it isnt just moms and dads with their children of a young age. Its about every parent in the film. The way Howard represents it in a flowing manner makes the film worth while.

But, here is my question: is the job of parenting a hard one or an easy one? Can it be both?

I heard this story not too long ago of a father who was trying to find his cell phone. Looked all around his house for it and couldn't find it. Finally, he asks his children if they have seen it. They say no. Turns out that one of the kids did have it. So, the father goes about the task of repremanding the kid.

Is it tough to do that. I am sure no sane parent likes to give their child disepline.

But when you're a parent you are finding your self in front of task that you have to ask your self is it right or is it wrong. Not to say that you parents reading this are abusers because I am sure you aren't.

What is it that you think is the best thing about parenting. What do you think is the worst?

I was talking with a friend of mine not too long ago and the subject came up about his children and how he is doing as a father. I had told him this:

I think it is up to the children of the parent to say "Yeah, my mom and dad, they were the best". Kind of, if you will like a ratings system. The parent could say that he /she is a good parent. I wouldn't disagree one bit.

You are, my dear readers, the sons and daughter's of your parents. Doesn't matter how old you are. We may not be children today, but we are our parents children.

Im just curious, how would you rate your's?


I would recommend seeing "Parenthood" Good cast, good directing by Ron (Opie)Howard

(Do you realise that he is never going to live that name down? I bet when his turn to go even his coffen is going to say "Opie")

I think you would like it, if you have seen it, rent it again, if you haven't, give it a try. Little bit of a precauion, however. There is one scene in the film where the light get turned off. and all you see is this glowing object. The lights of the house come back and one of the actors is seen holding something some of you parents might object to. You may not want your kids watching this scene.


Till Wednesday.......

David.


ps: a little side note: "Parenthood" is now a televiaion show. It is the second attempt. First "parenthood" show was around 1990 when the movie was still out in theather's. Didnt last long.