Friday, May 21, 2010

Interactive Friday...Let's Begin.

Allright, my readers. Here it is. Interactive Fridays. The very first of (hopefully)many.

So... what should we start off with? Sports? Politics? or wait. I have one. How about movies? Oh, yeah right! Now theres a complete shocker. You're asking your self "gee, what ever made him think of that?!"

But, I digress.

Pretty Woman. Great film. I think this was Julia Roberts's star making role. She had done some other small movies up to that point, but nothing that really stood out. I remember watching some of the movie reviews on televison like 'Siskel and Ebert' and etc and how they were raving not just about the movie, but also about Roberts and how some did'nt think she could pull it off. I think it was also the film that brought Richard Gere back. He had did 'An Officer And a Gentleman' in the '80's and some other not so rememorible fims, but 'Pretty Woman' broght him back to the acting presence and power that he still has to this day.

On a technical level, its a great film. Great screenplay, Directing. Supporting cast (Jason Alexander, pre seinfeld) Reallly good film.


Gladiator. Russell Crowe. Best Picture winner as well. Some people might have felt that it wasn't deserving for best picture oscar, but I dont know. All films have a flaw or two. even the best of them. Still doesn't stop them from winning prestegise awards.

The high light for me about this film were two things, one the acting talents of both Jaoquin Phoenix and the late Oliver Reed. His last role I think. Reed made it obvious to the theather public that he was still a good actor and could be just as great or if not better than some of the other actors in the film or acting in general. I wouldnt doubt for a second that Phoenix, Crowe, etc didnt over look Reeds talent and were happy to say that they had the chance to work with such a respected actor.

Techically, Gladiator stuck to its formila of a great script. Keeping it has much to the period as they could. The costumes. The CGI's. All of it. Worthy, I think of best picture acclaim.


"Oliver!" 1968 winner for best picture. High quality film making. Very good dance numbers and the music as well. If anybody had doubts about a musical version of 'Oliver Twist' Lionel Bart proved it could be done. I had heard about the film about 23 maybe 24 years ago while watching a television show and learning about the actors that were in it. It was a 1960's comedy called The Monkees. What I had found out was that Davy Jones once played the Artful Dodger in England and so when I had heard their was a film version, I looked into it. The cast alone was the shoo in. Once again Oliver Reed in one of his very first films. Ron Moody. And the late Jack Wild. Being a little bit of Wild fan having remembered seeing him in a now classic saturday morning children's television show called "H.R. Pufnstuf"
I couldnt resist. Glad I didnt, because this has become one of my all time faveorite movies if not my faveorite one.

Technically, a film doesn't get much better than 'Oliver!" The dance numbers alone makes the film stand out. I would love to see this film in a theather just to watch the dance sequences alone.Great.


I would strongly recommend all of these fims. They are worth having a look over or if some one reading this has never seen these three films, once you do, you might find out why people have said they are their faves.

Untill Tomorrow.....

David R. Meier