Monday, May 10, 2010

Music

Hey,everyone, how are all of you this Monday? Two week anniversary tomorrow!!


I'll cut to the chase and get right to my topic.

My topic for this Monday is music. What kind do you like? A little lite soft rock? Hard fast heavy metal? smooth jazz? Country?

What ever your musical interest I am not going to question it. If you like rap, you like rap. if you don't than thats what you desire. I remember growing up and I think right around middle school there were 2 classes of kids. One that liked metal and others that as it was called 'back in the day' new wave. If you liked metal, you were shunned upon by the other kids who didnt like metal and vice versa. Foolish, but true.

The same thing is happening today. Something that has never really quite gone away. You might hear stories of accomplished musicians throwing down other musicians simply because they dont care for their music. Is it right? Is it wrong. I am not the one you should be asking. I am just giving you my theory.

Getting back briefly to my memory of middle school. We had a name for the group of kids that liked metal. We called them Motorheads. They had a name for the other group of kids. It wasn't a nice one. I'll just say some of them were questioning the sexuallity of others.


I grew up on alot of different music, and I liked a lot of diffrent stiles. When i was in my single digits, in the 1970's I liked a popular band at that time called Kiss. I'll say it again, it was the 1970's and I was in my single digits.

During my teen years I started listening to alot of new wave early alturnative music. I still do. Alot of the bands from the 1980's are still doing well for them selves 20 years later and still take you back with their classic material.

But what about films. There have been quite a huge list of musicals for motion pictures. I mentioned one in my third blog. Are they good? Yes, alot of them. "West Side Story" "Bye bye Birdie" "Oliver!" just to name a few. I think when you do a motion picture musical you have to time the dialog with the song or 'number' that way you know what is going to happen. I have seen many of poorly made musicals that the songs just come from no where. Some times you dont't even know they are musicals un till it starts.


What about music bio pics? Lots of good ones as well. The thing is getting the right actor/musician to play the part. Some can do it, some can't. I am not going to name names of who I think can nor I will I tell you who I think can not.


A few years ago I was in a car with one of my younger siblings. He was playing a hip hop or a rap artist on his car stereo. The most awful and foul mouthed guy I have ever heard record an album. I thought it was so bad I had to be the older sibling and tell him to turn it off.


Milos Foreman's "Amadeus" is one of those great bio pic musician films. Tom Hulce plays Mozart and an actor named F. Murray Aberham plays Salieri. The film is seen through the eyes of Salieri and his jellousy of Mozart. Winner for best picture of 1984. I remember watching the accadmy awards that year and watching "Amadeus" walk away with 8 Oscars. The accedmy award or Oscars are like the superbowl for motion pictures.

In my opinion.

But I digress.

I highly recommend either renting or buying "Amadeus" Just like "Citizen Kane" an excellent film. Its a very stilish period film. My suggestion is if you purchase it, try and find the Directors Cut. Foreman added over 20 minutes of scenes that did not make the orginal 19984 release. Also has audio commentary by Foreman and screenwriter Peter Shaffer. (based upon his 1979 stage play.)

you cant go worng with either of the musicals I have mentioned in this blog today.

Thanks for reading. 2 week anniversery is only 23 hours away.

David.